Way Better Snacks (one of my favorite GF snacks that happen to also be non-GMO project verified and vegan), contacted me about putting together a recipe for their 12 Days of Holiday Snacking promotion. Usually I turn down recipes because part of my unique POV is that I’m terrible at recipes and moderately terrible in the kitchen. But, I do love their chips, and I could provide something fun because I live in Arizona – where the weather outside is anything but frightful. Because our white Christmas’ are around 70 degrees, I thought it charming to add a little Phoenix flair and make a shrimp ceviche. The high-end restaurant down the street makes a killer ceviche and we’ve tried recreating it several times. This version of it is the closest I can get to it while increasing the things that I love about salsa (cilantro and onions).
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Keep it simple, buy pre-made pre-chopped ingredients whenever possible. You’re lucky with my kitchen track record that I even chopped anything for this recipe.
- 2 cups pre-made salsa (yeah, like I’m really going to make salsa from scratch even though I have a Ninja)
- 1/4th-1/2 lb. responsibly-farmed cooked shrimp – based on preference, deveined and cut in half (I really like shrimp so I used 1/2 lb. so I could make sure I could have 1-2 shrimp pieces on each chip).
- 6-8 small cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters (because sometimes it’s nice to have a large tomato chunk on your chip instead of that small diced tomato you find in pre-made salsa)
- 1/4th-1/2 cup diced jicama into cubes (this is the ingredient to separate the champion salsas – I buy mine pre-cut from Whole Foods)
- 1/8th cup additional finely chopped white or red onions – to taste (because I love love love onion)
- 1/8th cup additional finely chopped cilantro – to taste (I added more than this because I love love love cilantro)
- 1/4 cup of freshly-squeezed orange juice (or the no-sugar-added pulpy kind from the grocery store)
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- OPTIONAL: Finely chop one jalapeno into the salsa (some like it hot)
- OPTIONAL: Mince 1-2 cloves of garlic into the salsa
- OPTIONAL: Add salt to taste (I didn’t add salt because I prefer my chips to be salted, and I don’t want to get a mouth full of salt)
Combine all of the above ingredients into a large bowl.
Cover bowl and let it set for at least an hour in the fridge.
You can eat this ceviche straight out of the bowl with Way Better Snacks, or use as a topping for omelettes, chicken or pork.
The top three Way Better Snacks flavors I recommend for this ceviche is Simply Unbeatable Blues (pictured above), Simply Sunny Multigrain, and Simply Spicy Sriracha.
**DISCLOSURE: Along with 11 other bloggers, I partnered with Way Better Snacks to create a recipe for their 12 Days of Holiday Snacking promotion. This promotion included a stipend to cover my ingredient costs. Based on my previous posts about Way Better Snacks, you already know that I was addicted to these chips far before I was compensated for this post.**