I love Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour and use it for all of my grain-free baking recipes! I recently had a chance to meet up with Sadie, the founder, and her son Otto at a Chicago-based gluten-free expo. During my visit to their booth, I grabbed a recipe card featuring this very recipe for grain-free chocolate chip cookies. Even though everyone has said how amazing they are – even dairy-free – I was so happy with how they turned out. If you’re afraid of using cassava flour, or have a bag of Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour and don’t know what to make with it – you must make these grain-free chocolate chip cookies!
How to Use Cassava Flour
Otto’s Naturals cassava flour can be used as a cup-for-cup (by weight) grain-free substitute for may things. On Otto’s Naturals website you can learn how to use this cassava flour for baking and cooking like:
- Gluten-Free Chick-Fil-A Nugget Copycat
- Gluten Free Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Chewy Gooey Paleo Brownies
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Paleo Cassava Flour Biscuits
When I asked my readers about cassava flour, many of you said that you love to make your own tortillas using this cassava flour. And, bonus, the recipe is on the back of every bag!
Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Classic Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Otto’s Naturals are an adaptation of the original Nestle Tollhouse Cookie recipe – just without the grain-based flour! I promise you, people won’t even know they’re grain free. You can even adapt my Bourbon Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to be grain free, and it is incredible!
I even used this same recipe to make a big cookie – like the kind you would get at the mall, all decorated in frosting for birthdays and holidays! I just filled a pie tin with this cookie dough, about halfway up the tin, and baked like normal – it came out perfect! Happy Father’s Day indeed!
You can purchase Otto’s Cassava Flour online for $17.99 for a 2 lb. bag.
Classic Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 240 grams Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt (I like to use flake sea salt)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (I used Earth Balance dairy-free butter substitute)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips (to taste) – I used a mix of Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and Pascha Chocolate Dark Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt
- In a separate large bowl, cream the dairy-free butter and sugars together until light and somewhat fluffy (regular butter fluffs better)
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and incorporate welll
- Add in the flour mixture and stir by hand! If you use a stand mixer, flour will go everywhere. Finish with a hand beater or stand mixer when the flour is roughly mixed in, until everything is well incorporated
- At the end, stir in the chocolate chips by hand
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto a baking sheet
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until golden brown, and then let them sit for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool