As per Gluten Intolerance Group, “GIG’s Gluten-Free Food Service Certification Program was proud to certify Pizza Hut for over four years and we applaud them for following the correct policies and procedures during this time period. As of May 25, 2019, Pizza Hut is no longer participating in the Gluten-Free Food Service Certification Program and GIG can no longer certify the safety of the restaurant for gluten-free guests. According to Pizza Hut’s website, while they continue to have a gluten-free pizza option (using a Certified GF UDI’s crust), Pizza Hut no longer recommends their gluten-free pizza for guests with celiac disease.”
Summer is literally the worst. Why do I say that? Well, since I don’t have kids, it’s basically the same daily tasks as every other day, but it’s at least 100x hotter – possibly hotter than my oven, and possibly hotter than the surface of the sun. When Arizona hits 115 degrees, I basically deadbolt myself inside my office, crank down the A/C and try not to leave my house for days. Summer is also the time for lots and lots of Netflix.
I’m a super huge Netflix junkie since I work from home and like having TV on at all times as background noise. I’ve gone through so much Netflix I thought I just couldn’t Netflix anymore, but I did. In case you’re wondering I also have Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV too. Oh, and HBO. I really really like TV. So when Udi’s wanted to partner up to promote summer nights with some of my favorite brands, I said – WELL DUH.
I was sent a care package to fuel my summer night Netflix binge. I have an equally amazing experience, this is what you’ll need:
- Appetizers: Udi’s partnered with Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP for this event. Popcorn + movies = success. Brands I also love are Popcorn Indiana and Skinny Pop.
- Drinks: Udi’s partnered with Zevia zero-calorie stevia sodas. Unfortunately stevia gives me a huge headache, so I skipped it and used my Soda stream for some soda water mixed with Honest Tea Half & Half.
- The Main Meal: Udi’s Pizza Hut pizza is awesome because they’ve worked so hard to get it down to a science to avoid cross-contamination. Always make sure your local Pizza Hut takes your order seriously and talk directly to the manager with each order – I’ve found it’s the best way to make sure the pizza is made celiac-safe, even though the GFCO protocols are in place.
- Dessert: Udi’s chocolate chip cookies, Snickerdoodle cookies (swoon), and brownie bites were part of the promotion from Udi’s. While these are gluten-free, they contain milk and soy. If you’re dairy-free, try Glutino sandwich cookies (aka faux-reos) and the magic cookie that I made for Glutino (combining two cookies and a brownie) here.
- Netflix: Here are some things I’m watching on Netflix that are awesome: NARCOS (just launched), Heroes (preparing for the reboot), and rewatching every wine documentary (seriously watch SOMM) to prepare for the International Food Bloggers Conference in a few weeks.
- If you haven’t watched any of these, here are some of my other favorites: Netflix’s Happy Valley, Netflix’s The Fall, Netflix’s Peaky Blinders, Netflix’s Southcliffe (warning: lots of violence), Netflix’s Orange is the New Black, Netflix’s House of Cards, The X-Files, The Queen of Versailles (documentary), Blackfish (documentary), Rectify (Sundance TV), Black Mirror (TV – horror/supernatural), Twin Peaks (TV), Fringe (TV), The Dark Matter of Love (documentary), The Honorable Woman (TV), Bob’s Burgers (TV), Luther (TV), Hungry for Change (documentary), Food Matters (documentary), Miss Representation (documentary), Remote Area Medical (documentary), Food Inc. (documentary), Jiro Dreams of Sushi (documentary), and of course every episode of Chopped you can watch.
Want to know more about Udi’s Pizza Hut collab? Earlier this year, I got a chance to go on a press trip to the Pizza Hut Academy. Yes, that’s a real place that’s not just in your imagination. Udi’s gathered several influencers and brought them to the Pizza Hut test kitchen to learn more about Udi’s collaboration with Pizza Hut on their new GFCO certified gluten-free pizza. Needless to say, I was excited. READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE HERE! Here are some of my favorite memories from the experience!
Whatever you choose to watch, I hope your Udi’s Pizza Hut summer night is as fun as mine was!
**Disclaimer: Udi’s sent me to Pizza Hut earlier this year in order to learn how these pizzas are created safely with a celiac’s need in mind. I was not compensated for the trip, but reimbursed for expenses and was given an Udi’s/Pizza Hut gift basket as a thank you. I consistently work with Udi’s as a blogger, but am not compensated outside of free product – which, let’s be honest, I would have bought anyways since I live off of their pizza crusts.**