I first met Hungry Harry’s years ago at the Food Allergy Bloggers Conference. Not only did I meet the brand and taste the product, but I met Harry himself – and his family. Harry has food allergies to tree nuts and a sensitivity to dairy, gluten, eggs, and soy.
I fell in love with Hungry Harry’s bright, cheerful branding, and their high-quality, safe products, and what they stood for. Food allergies can seem limiting for a child, but Harry’s story is one of empowerment. At a young age, he’s the head chef of a food brand, and his family has an entire line of allergy-friendly mixes that are safe for him and his friends.
For Hungry Harry’s, this is just the beginning of something awesome, and I’m happy to have been there since the beginning!
This post is sponsored by Hungry Harry’s
Hungry Harry’s Yellow Cake Mix Ingredients
All Hungry Harry’s mixes and AP flour blend are free from the top 14 allergens: Peanuts, Eggs, Dairy/Casein, Wheat/Gluten, Soy, Tree Nuts, Fish, Shellfish, Celery, Mustard, Sesame, Sulfites, as well as Lupins. These mixes are also certified gluten-free by GFCO. Hungry Harry’s facility is also free from the top 14 allergens as well.
The ingredients for Hungry Harry’s Yellow Cake Mix are: Sugar, White Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Tapioca Starch, Arrowroot Flour, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Sorghum Flour, Xanthan Gum, Baking Soda.
Hungry Harry’s Island Time Gluten-Free Cupcakes Recipe
I’ve been waiting anxiously for Hungry Harry’s to launch in the states so I can get my hands on some product! I’ve been experimenting with some of their mixes and wanted to first showcase their Yellow Cake Mix! Yes, I could have just made plain cupcakes, but I found these really cute tiki-themed props at the Target dollar section. I, like most middle-aged women, cannot contain myself in the dollar section of any Target and thus had to make a recipe around it. I also, really love making tiki themed cocktails, so this recipe was 100% developed under the influence of dark rum and a Spotify tiki-themed playlist.
- 1 package Hungry Harry’s Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs or Egg Replacers (I used flax egg)
- 1/2 cup Oil of Choice (I used coconut oil)
- 1 cup Milk of Choice (I used So Delicious coconut milk)
- 1/2 Cup Candied Dried Pineapple, Chopped (don’t like pineapple, just leave them out!)
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut (CATB Recommends Let’s Do Organic)
- 1 TSP Coconut Flavoring (CATB Recommends LorAnn Oils)
- Preheat your oven to 360° F.
- Mix the cake mix with the flax eggs, oil, coconut flavoring, and dairy-free milk, until well combined.
- At the end, mix in the chopped pineapple and coconut by hand.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping with frosting.
Coconut Rum Frosting
I absolutely love rum, but I also really love coconut. And don’t get me started on frosting. Without frosting, a cupcake is just a muffin pretending to be something better. By adding a little rum and a little coconut, you can take regular vanilla frosting to the next level. This frosting is ready for your next tiki party!
- 1 Package (1 Lb/16 oz.) powdered sugar
- 3 TB Vegan Butter (I used Earth Balance sticks)
- 3 TB Non-Dairy Milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1 TB Rum
- 1 TSP Coconut Flavoring (I used LorAnn Oils – they are labeled gluten-free)
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract (I used Nielsen-Massey) If you really love coconut flavoring, you can sub this out for another tsp of coconut flavoring, or another flavor like pina colada.
*I got my inspiration from a Loving It Vegan vanilla frosting recipe. You can find her recipe here if you prefer non-flavored frosting.
Beat all ingredients together, slowly at first, using a stand mixer or electric mixer. It should be thick, and able to be spooned into a piping bag. Make sure you prepare your piping well after the cupcakes have cooled, or you’ll end up with cupcake and frosting soup!
I used additional shredded coconut and candied pineapple for toppings on the pipped frosting. I thought it might be too much at first, but our friends loved the tropical theme, complete with little tiki cocktail umbrellas!
Where Can I Buy Hungry Harry’s?
Right now, you can purchase Hungry Harry’s online. You can purchase the Yellow Cake Mix and other gluten-free food-allergy friendly mixes for $6.99 online!
Hungry Harry’s Giveaway
Do you want to win a set of Hungry Harry’s mixes for yourself? Of course you do! I’ve made it easy for you to enter to win a set of mixes for yourself!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Thanks again to Hungry Harry’s for the sponsorship of Celiac and the Beast! We can’t wait for you to try Hungry Harry’s, and we’ll share more about Hungry Harry’s on our Instagram soon!